Map of the Garden

Our Farm

Located at 1321 Athens Drive, The Well Fed Community Garden welcomes everyone to ‘Enter the Garden’ and ‘Get Involved.’


The Garden is dedicated to reconnecting folks to the source of their nourishment: plants chickens & bees, soil, air, water and friendship.


The Well Fed Garden is one example of urban agriculture – 20% of its bounty is donated to volunteers and neighbors and the remaining 80% is sold to local restaurants. This 1.5 acre plot at 1321 Athens Drive grows delicious seasonal vegetables, fruits & berries, herbs, mushrooms and flowers all organically.


Organic and permaculture farming practices are used to cultivate spring, summer and fall crops each year.  The ‘season extension’ tunnels grow hydroponic and leaf lettuce during the winter.  To increase yields of produce, cover crops, mulches, compost (from the Cafe’s kitchen vegetable discards) and mineral supplements are employed to build healthy soil. No chemical fertilizers nor pesticides are used, however organic pest control methods are practiced, like crop rotation, beneficial insects and micro-organisms and companion plantings.


‘Enter the Garden’ and discover an amazing world that transforms a tiny seed into an Okra or Brussels Sprout. Connect with the soil full of millions of life forms – that are ‘fixing’ nitrogen from the air and symbiotically sustaining the plants.  Breath the air, feel the wind and drink pure water from the Garden’s ‘Well’.


We are offering you many different ways to ‘Enter the Garden’ by volunteering, attending a workshop, farm dinner or cooking class; painting, yoga or movies – you are welcome to experience the garden!

Why Eat Locally Grown Food?

  • It tastes better and has more nutrients

  • Supports the local economy, creates jobs

  • Saves energy used in transportation

  • Reduces the ‘Carbon Footprint’ of food

  • Promotes a safer food supply

Why Urban Agriculture & Community Gardens Benefit our Community

  • Increased access to healthy foods for those in need – creates food security

  • When people see vegetables and fruits growing in the ground, they are much more likely to eat more vegetables – the current guidelines recommend that 50% of our daily diet be vegetables and fruit – creating behavior change and a healthier community

  • Gardening increases rates of exercise and has a positive impact on obesity rates and other health outcomes

  • Reduces rates of vandalism and increases property values

  • Being outside in nature improves mental health

  • Green spaces in urban environments moderates climate extremes


The Well Fed Community Garden

1321 athens drive, raleigh, nc